Civil Unit

The Mono County Sheriff's Department Civil Unit is comprised of a single Deputy Sheriff working in conjunction with all other sworn and non-sworn staff throughout the county.

The Civil Unit is dedicated to civil enforcement and process service. Sworn personnel perform evictions throughout the county. They also serve restraining orders and immediate move-out orders, serve civil bench warrants and enforce civil judgments. Enforcement of civil judgments can include: levy on and sell personal property to satisfy money judgments, collect proceeds of sales transactions from small businesses to satisfy money judgments and seizing property and turning it over to the plaintiff in a civil action.

The Civil Deputy processes all incoming requests for service, distributes process service and enforcement actions to the field deputies for completion. All monies collected pursuant to wage garnishments, bank levies and other enforcement actions will be distributed to the judgment creditor(s) or a designee towards satisfying the judgment. The Civil Deputy processes claims, stays, exemptions and bankruptcies on civil enforcement actions and communicates with the courts to determine dispositions.

Legal Process Serving
If you are in need of formal delivery of items: subpoenas, levies, eviction notices, etc., please contact our Civil Deputy at (760) 932-7549 ext. 113 or via mail at PO Box 616 Bridgeport, CA 93517.

Persons wishing to submit civil process for service by the Mono County Sheriff's Department are required to include:

  • A signed LETTER OF INSTRUCTION to the department including:
  1. The full name of party to be served (if husband and wife, may need two services).
  2. The physical address of the residence and/or the place of business where the above mentioned parties may be found (NO PO Boxes). Add all information possible on subject to be served. This helps us locate the people we are trying to serve. Example: phone numbers, vehicle make, color of vehicle, where they work, etc.
  3. Describe the type of process, list the titles of documents (usually found at the bottom of the papers) such as: Summons and Complaint; Writ of Execution; Notice of Hearing; etc. and the type of service desired.
  • The ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS and copies - proper on their face, issued by the court as legal documents or from the requesting person - MUST be submitted in a timely manor if pending court date.
  • Enclose proper PAYMENT for service (check only, made out to Mono County Sheriff's Department).

In complex cases involving levies, auto levies, real estate levies, and sales, etc., please contact the Civil Division at (760) 932-7549 ext. 113 for further assistance.

Fees and Services
Questions about fees, services and/or required documents not addressed by this website can be directed to the Civil Deputy. Also, for specific information as to what documents our office serves, and other required fees and costs not shown on the Fee Schedule, please contact the Civil Deputy.

Evicting tenants who refuse to pay rent or who damage your property may become a lengthy legal proceeding. The Sheriff's Department can assist you by serving paperwork and, as a last resort, physically remove recalcitrant tenants. Be aware that evictions can get complicated so be prepared to seek qualified legal counsel. Please refer to the Eviction Guide below for further information.

Information regarding Landlord-Tenant rights and responsibilities can be found at the Department of Consumer Affairs website.

Contact Information:
Mono County Sheriff's Department Civil Unit
PO Box 616
49 Bryant Street
Bridgeport, CA 93517
(760) 932-7549 ext. 113