Information on the initial permit process and all forms
Recently, the Mono County Sheriff’s Office has fielded questions on why we have changed our policy regarding the issuance of Concealed Carry of Weapons permits. The Mono County Sheriff’s Office is merely following the law. We have had a number of permit holders submit renewal applications that do not meet the statutory requirement of Mono County residency. In fact, some of these applicants have been residents of other counties and states. The Penal Code precludes the issuance of a permit under these circumstances. Proof of residency can be established by providing a valid California driver license or voter registration. The Mono County Sheriff’s Office does require that applicants or permit holders demonstrate, to a recognized range master, the ability to safely manipulate and fire each weapon listed on the application or authorized by the permit. Sheriff Braun has not denied any permit for failure to establish good cause as required by the law. However, permits have been denied for failure to meet the statutory requirements of the California Law. The Mono County Sheriff’s Office encourages residents to contact the Office with questions or concerns.
POLICYOur CCW policies and procedures have changed in order to facilitate the timeliest and most efficient way to issue CCW permits while managing Sheriff’s Office resources.
- California Law grants the Sheriff of a county the ability to issue CCW license. Prior to the issuance of a CCW license, California state statutes require proof of the following:
- The applicant is of good moral character.
- Good cause exists for issuance of the license.
- The applicant is a resident of the county or a city within the county.
- The applicant has completed an approved course of training.
- If you are a resident of Mammoth Lakes, you will need to apply to the Mammoth Lakes Police Department for a CCW permit. (MLPD CCW page)
NOT A MONO COUNTY RESIDENT?
If you are not a Mono County Resident but can submit proof that you work or conduct significant business within Mono County, the Sheriff has the discretion to issue you a license that is valid for no more than ninety (90) days and is only valid in Mono County. There are additional conditions and restrictions to this type of license.
*Note: CCW applications WILL NOT be accepted without an appointment.