In order to apply for a license to carry a concealed weapon, you must meet the following requirements:
- Be a resident of Mono County.
- Be at least 21 years of age.
- Fully complete an application.
- Be free from criminal convictions that would disqualify you from carrying a concealed weapon. Fingerprints will be required and a complete criminal background check will be conducted.
- Be of good moral character.
- Show good cause for the issuance of the license.
- Pay all associated application fees. These fees are set by statute and may not be refunded if the application is denied.
- Provide proof of ownership and registration of any weapon to be licensed for concealment.
- Provide at least three (3) letters of character reference.
- Be free from any medical and psychological conditions that might make you unsuitable for carrying a concealed weapon.
- Complete required training.
- Any individual applying for a license to carry a concealed weapon will first fully complete a Concealed Weapons License Application to be signed under penalty of perjury. It is against the law to knowingly make any false statements on such an application (Penal Code Section 12051 (b) and (c)).
- If an incomplete CCW application package is received, the Sheriff or authorized designee may do any of the following: require the applicant to complete the package before any further processing; advance the incomplete package for conditional processing pending completion of all mandatory conditions; issue a denial if the mandates submitted at the time demonstrate that the applicant would not qualify for a CCW permit even if the package was completed (e.g., not a resident, disqualifying criminal conviction, absence of good cause).
- At the time the complete application is submitted, you will submit a check made payable to the Mono County Sheriff's Department for the required application fee ($108). This fee is mandated by the California Department of Justice. The application fee does not include any additional fees required for training or psychological testing.
- You will be required to submit livescan fingerprinting and a complete criminal background check by the Department of Justice.
- You will submit at least three (3) signed letters of character reference from the individuals other than relatives.
- You will submit proof of ownership and registration of each weapon to be licensed for concealment.
- You will complete a 16-hour course of training approved by the agency minimally including firearms safety and the laws regarding the permissible use of a firearm.
Once the Sheriff or authozied designee has verified the successful completion of the application process, the license to carry a concealed weapon will either be granted or denied. Whether an application is approved or denied at the conclusion of this process, you will be notified in writing within 90 days of the initial application or within 30 days after receipt of the applicant's criminal background check from the Department of Justice, whichever is later (Penal Code Section 12052.5).
Issued Concealed Weapons Permits
In the event a license to carry a concealed weapon is issued by the Sheriff, the following apply:
- The license will not be valid outside the State of California.
- The license will be subject to any and all reasonable restrictions or conditions the Sheriff has deemed warranted, including restrictions as to the time, place, manner and circumstances under which the person may carry the concealed firearm.
- The license will be valid for a period not to exceed two (2) years from the date of issuance.
- The licensee will notify this department in writing within ten (10) days of any change of place of residency. If the licensee moved out of the county of issuance, the license will expire ninety (90) days after the licensee has moved.
Amendments to Licenses
Any licensee may apply to amend a license at any time during the period of validity by completing and submitting a written application for license amendment in order to accomplish one or more of the following:
- Add or delete authority to carry a firearm listed on the license
- Change restrictions or conditions previously placed on the license
- Change the address or other personal information of the license
In the event that any amendment to a valid license is approved by the Sheriff, a new license will be issued reflecting the amendment (s). An amendment to any license will not serve to extend the original expiration date and an application for an amendment will not constitute an appliction for renewal of the license.
No later than ninety (90) days prior to the expiration of any valid license to carry a concealed weapon, the licensee may apply to the Sheriff for a renewal by completing the following:
- Verifying all information submitted in the original application under penalty of perjury
- Taking an authorized training course of no less than four (4) hours including firearms safety and the laws regarding the permissible use of a firearm
- Payment of a non-refundable renewal application fee ($62)
Once the Sheriff or authorized designee has verified the successful completion of the renewal process, the renewal of the license to carry a concealed weapon will either be granted or denied. Prior issuance of a license will not entitle any licensee to any property or liberty right to renewal.
If you are a resident of the Town of Mammoth Lakes, you will need to obtain CCW permit information from the Mammoth Lakes Police Department.
For more information on the CCW process or to request a paper version of the application be mailed to you, please contact:
Jennifer M. Hansen, Administrative Specialist
jhansen [at] monosheriff [dot] org